Single-trip Bonds: An Alternative for Non-Bonded Carriers

Single-trip Bonds: An Alternative for Non-Bonded Carriers

What is a non-bonded highway carrier to do when they have an opportunity to pick up a load that needs to travel in-bond through Canada? One alternative is to obtain a single-trip bond.

Bonds issued by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), whether single-trip or annual, allow highway carriers to move goods inland to a sufferance warehouse for release or "in-transit" through Canada for furtherance to a point outside of the country.

In order to become an annually bonded carrier with CBSA, carriers must have a carrier code, post financial security of up to $25,000 as well as fill out an application. However, to obtain a single-trip bond the process can be completed on an as-needed basis.

A single-trip bond can be acquired by the carrier directly through CBSA at the First Port of Arrival (FPOA) by filing security using cash or certified cheque or by engaging a customs broker who provides this service.

Goods moving on a single-trip bond are linked to the carrier code of the carrier moving the goods, a bond authorization number and Cargo Control Number (CCN) printed on a Cargo Control Document (CCD). This allows for reporting, tracing and acquittal of each shipment by CBSA.

CBSA expects the single-trip bond process to be limited and declining in use and as such this process remains paper-based.

The process for a single-trip bond movement of goods:

  1. The highway carrier will transmit cargo and conveyance data as a frontier release prior to arriving at the FPOA.
  2. At the Primary Inspection Line (PIL), the driver will declare that a single-trip authorization is required to move the goods inland. The carrier will then provide a lead sheet to the Border Services Officer (BSO) with the a bar coded CRN or a bar coded CCN and handwritten CRN.
  3. The BSO will refer the driver inside for primary processing to apply for a single-trip bond.
  4. The carrier will present a completed paper re-manifest (A8A) to the BSO. The officer will stamp the A8A allowing the carrier to move the goods inland. The clearance is then processed as an in-bond movement.
  5. The A8A copies will be split as they were pre-emanifest carriers will not be penalized for handwriting the CCN onto the A8A being used to re-manifest, single-trip in-bond movement.
  6. Goods must go to the destination that CBSA has allowed the carrier to carry the goods to as per the bond. The single-trip bond naturally ends at the destination of the goods.
  7. The carrier is required to retain all records relating to this single-trip bond for three (3) years plus the current year.

Share this post
About Author
Darren Turnbull

While we strive for accuracy in all our communications, as the Importer of Record it is incumbent upon your company to ensure that you are aware of the requirements under the new regulations so that you maintain compliance as always.